Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

33

Today, I reach the mystical age of Christ. I never had thought much about it until my friend, my twin, reminded me of such an auspicious occasion. That is a lot of pressure and a lot of expectations. This age seems to capture the imaginations of a good many folks.

Five for Fighting, in 100 Years sings:
"I'm 33 for a moment. Still the man, but you see I'm a they. A kid on the way. A family on my mind"

David Wilcox, in Glory sings:
"In the big boring middle of my long book of life after the twist has been told. If you don't die in glory at the age of Christ then your story is just getting old ...
Through the big boring middle of His long book of life after He passed thirty-two. If you don't die in glory at the age of Christ then your story is still coming true. Still coming true, still coming true."

So far, 33 has been uneventful. When you're working, the birthday loses much of the elementary significance ... I do not advertise the day, and I have had no well wishes from colleagues. Just another day. But one cannot help but find reflection on these days that seem to come more often than before. I can say with relative confidence that the next 365 days will determine the rest of my life. When I again broach the subject of turning the calendar of my life, such a life will have been placed on the path that will guide it until the end.

Until then, goodnight and God bless.

2 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Rev Kev said...

Happy Birthday.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Vernon Bowen said...

Hey man. It's been a while since I've commented on here (or anyone's blog, really), but I wanted to say Happy Birthday, and I've been reading... Hope things are going well with you at your new "mystical" age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home