Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Denominations

In an email to a colleague a few days ago, I made the off-hand remark: "denominations sprung from one charismatic person's theological pet peeve." While I was being hyperbolic, I am not sure how far off I am. From Henry VIII and the Reformers through John Wesley and William Miller, did not people begin to follow a person who had a particular take and emphasis on Scripture? For Luther and Calvin it was soteriology. For Smyth and Helwys more ecclessiology. For Miller, eschatology. There are some gems in each of their movements, but it seems each one loses a little bit of the Great Tradition, so we're left with bits and pieces of Christianity.

I may be off base, but if anyone actually cares to post, I would love to read others' thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home