Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sermon Plagiarism

I had a sneaky suspicion that the sermon referenced in the post below was a cookie-cutter message. Sure enough, a quick Google searched proved that the pastor had stolen the sermon directly from Bill Hybels, the Willow Creek guy. Here is a link.

Believe me, I certainly have borrowed ideas and illustrations from other pastors; but I credit them (not illustrations usually because we all "steal" those). But it offends me as a pastor that this guy would compltely rip off another sermon and never once tell the congregation.

You did a bad thing Senior Pastor John McKinzie.

I think this brings up a lot of questions. Primarily, where is his sermon preparation. If he is just preaching Hybels' sermons, what does he do all week? Where is his preparation, his study? Why would I want to go watch somebody do a poor job of preaching Hybels' sermons when I can watch Hybels on the Interent?

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is agitating. And the church atmosphere you described in the last post is certainly something that would have frustrated me to no end. Maybe you should become some sort of P.I. for churches, exposing the shallowness in hopes of encouraging depth ...

Hope things are going well. What's the latest on the job search?
- Vernon

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Ellis Family said...

did you e-mail him?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home