Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bono Bad

I have many character flaws ... I have come to terms with this. One of them that always pops up is the great contempt for which I hold all things trendy. Sometimes, I manipulate myself into adopting opinions contrary simply because of trendiness.

However, in this case, I am not speaking against Bono simply because he is the trendy, cool Christian du jour. My U2 cred goes back almost two decades from the day I brought home a poster from the county fair. I took a date to see Rattle and Hum. I own every album and two U2 iPods. I am no "worship leader come lately" who loves U2 now that they're "cool" and "Christian." I have been discussing God and U2 for more than 10 years.

Bono, like most liberals, is a hypocrite. Recently, UK papers reported that Bono moved much of his assets out of Ireland to avoid paying taxes. This is a man who travels the world asking countries to forgive debts of poor, corrupt governments and to spend more money on AIDS and other endeavors. Well, what is government money? Taxes. Now Bono is shirking his responsibility to pay taxes by using a foregin tax shelter. Even worse, U2 benefited for years from Ireland's pro-artist programs, and now that it is successful, the band does not want to return the gratitude to other artits.

Whether it is pro-environmental Ted Kennedy and other liberals quelching a wind-powered installation near Martha's Vineyard or anti-gun liberal Rosie O'Donnell having her bodyguards armed, this is another case of what is good for the goose is not good for the liberal gander. I am not looking to have a liberal polemic, but one reason I could never join their ranks is because liberals are always telling other people what to do but rarely following their own advice. I remember Sarah Jessica Parker complaining how one of Bush's budgets would hurt her family because they depend on government aid -- like person who makes $10 million a year for reading a teleprompter cannot support her family? I mean, could she not forgo one pair of designer shoes so Uncle Ricky can eat?

I still love U2 and love Bono. Despite his personal hypocrisy, he still presents one of the most "Christian" messages in the public arena. I am just disappointed. I would like to see someone - particularly liberals - actually practice what they preach.


1 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, if only ...

- vernon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home