Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Lost

Lost is one of my guilty pleasures; but it is starting to give me tiredhead. Each week new mysteries unfold with little resolution of previous curiosities. The most annoying thing about Lost is its tendency to launch major plot points and then tend to ignore them. In Season One, much was made about the "island monster." It was absent in Season Two altogether.

One
of my former favorite shows was Alias, also written and created by Lost's J.J. Abrams. jumped the shark - I think - during the (I think it was) season 2 finale where Vaughn was trapped behind a door after a big, red, liquid-filled ball exploded. From that point on, Alias abandoned much of the character-driven, emotional plot lines in favor of conspiracies of conspiracies. It ultimatley collapsed under its own mysterious weight.

I fear Lost may be going down the same road. Gone from Season One is the intense interaction among the "losties" as they seek to build a society on this new, strange place. Gone is the tension - sexual, political, emotional, etc. Now it is secret after secret - a little revealed each week. Lost threatens to collapse under the weight of a gigantic metanarrative that the show cannot support.

I am still on board, but my patience is thinning.

3 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Really, what did you expect from JJ Abrams. You knew he'd do this again. I think you're memory is slipping with old age--you're conflating the Alias finales from Season 1 and Season 2. And you call yourself a real fan???

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Writer said...

EO,

I loooove Lost. However I do agree with your current assessment of the plots. It seemed to start out much more on the "spiritual" side with healings and such. BTW, how did John Lock get in that wheelchair anyway? What happened to the interracial couple? I haven't seen them in a while. I wish they would get off this preoccupation with the "Others" and go back to more character-driven storylines.

Regards,

Les

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Evangelical Orthodoxy said...

Could not agree more ... I liked the Season One formula of 50 percent Lostie interaction, 25 percent flashbacks and 25 percent Island mystery.

Okay Megger, help me out:
Alias season finales:
1. Sydney realizes her mom is The Man
2. Sydney wakes up in Hong Kong.
3. Sydney finds Jack's safe deposit box.
4. Car crash with Vaughn.
5. Series Finale ...

Obviously, I goofed ... where was the ball o' goo?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home