Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Thursday, September 28, 2006


Ruth Ann Foster

Dr. Ruth Ann Foster passed away today around 2 p.m. after a long battle with cancer.

I was in her neighborhood several weeks ago. I wrote her a note but did not leave it in her mailbox as intended. I wrote:

"Dr. Foster -
I was visiting a friend in teh neighborhood. i just want you to know hat you and your mom are in our prayers. I hope that you can take a modicum of comfort in the fact that your memory and your legacy will live for decades through the hundreds of students that you influenced. My first semester with you shaped me as much as anything I encountered at Truett. Your pedagogy plus your pastoral care of new students like me made me a better pastor, student and person. I wish there as something I coudl do or say, but I can leave you only with a pathetic expression of my love an appreciation that is neither worthy or your legacy nor sufficient to express your impact on my life; but I hope at least it may bring a smile. Thinking of you now and forever. May God's peace comfort you and His love surround you."

Dr. Foster helped students with little or no biblical studies backgrounds catch up to the theological know-it-alls from small Baptist colleges.
Dr. Foster helped studens whose exposure to the Bible had been only through Sunday School or fundamentalist Bible colleges cope with the reality of academic biblical interpretation.
Dr. Foster married within biblical studies the integrity to the Academy with the reality that ultimately Scripture is a canon for and tool of faith.

God Bless You Mother Mater.


2 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Tim Dahl said...

Dr. Foster is one of my heros.

I look forward to seeing her, and other giants of the faith when my time here on earth is done.

Others that I look forward to seeing are:

Dr. Conyers

Mr. Bill Treadwell

These, and my other teachers from Truett will always hold a special place in my heart. The world is less because of the loss of these, but heaven is surely brighter with the presence.

Tim Dahl

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Tim Dahl said...

Oh, by the way EO...

If you are in Dallas, send me an email and I'll buy you lunch in the Midcities somewhere.

Tim
tim_dahl@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home