Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Response to ChrisE

Okay my friend. You were right to call me on the carpet. So today, positive reviews about church. We visited St. Phillips Episcopal again. What a refreshing change. The sanctuary - yes sanctuary - if warmly filled with natural light due to windows around the top - where a second story would be. With the symbols and language, I felt like I actually was at church worshiping God and not just at a Jesus concert. There really is something to be said about participating in rituals that date back to the time of Christ. While Christ may have made Andrew play drums in a cage, I kind of doubt it. I can see it now, Jesus on vocals, Peter playing lead guitar, John on Bass, James on rhythm guitar ... The Messiahs. Okay, enough.

There is something about this conservative, Episcopal worship that is fulfilling. I like the fact that communion is weekly - as Christ commanded - and that we drink from a common cup. I like the mix of ancient hymns - was sang one of St. Francis of Assisi's famous ones - and new songs - from Word or Maranatha. I like the liturgy and communal aspect of worship. I like the fact that there is more focus on the gospel than the persoality of the preacher.

I still am too conservative to actually become an Episcopal, but I enjoy the worship.

7 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EO,

You said, "I like the fact that communion is weekly - as Christ commanded."

Help me out here. Exactly where in scripture did Christ command weekly communion?

Regards,

Les

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Ellis Family said...

thanks man :)

There is tons of crap wrong with the church, but yet it is still the bride. But for the record, i agree with most of what you say,but you know i try to be a half-full kind of guy.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Evangelical Orthodoxy said...

Les, I guess you are technically correct that Christ did not say, literally, "perform communion weekly." However, personally I do not find a huge stretch to interpret the Last Supper or the Corinthians passages as implying communion as the integral part of Christian worship. In Tradition, the Table and thanksgiving always is a complement ot the Word or proclamation. One can argue formal worship inherently requires communion.

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EO,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand your view of tradition, however, tradition does not a biblical commandment make. :)

As far as what 1 Corinthians implies, we could debate that all day long. If there is any implication regarding the Last Supper, I think it would be associating it with the Passover meal. Let us not forget that the Last Supper was a Passover meal. I won't get into the many parallels between the two, but my point is that Passover was an annual rite, not a weekly rite. If someone was inclined to implication, then one might infer an implication of annual observance. That's not my view, but I could see how one could come to that conclusion.

Many regards,

Les

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only partaken of Communion once in the last four or five months. I'm screwed! Now I'll never become a roadie for The Messiahs.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Evangelical Orthodoxy said...

Les, my favorite - and dare I say one of my best - sermons preachers the Lord's Supper in terms and symbols of the Passover. It is amazing how Christ weaves through history.

I agree with you that it can be interpreted many ways. For me, it is not a fellowship breaking issue rather a matter meaning and joy. For me, communion is the most meaningful act of worship.

If I might close with a note of caution - do not ignore Tradition as it is the communion of the saints.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Sharing communion weekly is one of the many joys of this brief sojourn of mine into anglicanism. I know I'll miss it terribly when I have to return to the States. I fear that most Baptists don't celebrate it enough or take it seriously enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home