Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Monday, October 16, 2006

Cold Turkey

Okay, I admit. I could not go cold turkey. In a moment of weakness I instinctively went over the the Outhouse and read a post. Of course, it was on women in ministry so I got suckered into reading some posts - no posts just perusing others' comments. The responses were typical.
  • There were a surprising amount of people who were open to and accepting of women in ministry and at least could acknowledge there is not a clear, biblical witness
  • There were those who dogmatically claimed that "they believed the Bible," which states women cannot be pastors, have authority over a man, etc.
And as always, my position is the correct one ... that is a joke. But seriously, one cannot reasonably make an argument either way without acknowledging that there is tension in the biblical witness. You have women leaders in theOT and the NT, and Jesus' liberal attitude - if not flat-out rebellion - against the social convention of the day makes it hard to believe he would support the paternalistic attitudes of first century Jews and 21st century Southern Baptists. I thought one person madea novel argument I had never heard: the Great Commission commands all to go out and and make disciples and to baptize - I guess our fundamentalist friends do not care to take that passage so literally.

I think that is my beef with the fundamentalist position - the absurdity of its inconsistency. Fundamentalists pick and choose passages to taker literally while ignoring other passages. I am a traditional Baptist, so I respect a fundamentalist's privilege to not support women ministers; but if they want to keep me from doing so, reciprocate with a little consistency: do not let women speak in church, forbid jewelry and makeup, and make them cover their heads; but no, they pick and choose their literal passages.

The fundamentalist argument largely hinges on the 1 Timothy passage; and theological arguments are exhaustive on both sides. However, I am more apt to believe that the writer of this letters intendes his direction to be situational as it is written to a specific person at a specific time. Paul's letters by contrast largely were intended to be circulated. Paul not only permits women to preach but considers them in equality with men (Gal).

When I started this post, my intention was not to dwell on preaching women. I also read an article in a magazine about the family feud going on in Episcopal life over the ordination of gay bishops. I think many Fundamentalists (in addition to other reasons) fear that letting women vote and leave the kitchen opens the doors for gays next (all this started when they let the blacks in).

How do we as hold on to orthodoxy while allowing for teneble positions that legitimately evolve? While there is tension over women, one really has to get out the mental gymnastics to support the ordination of homosexuals (IMHO). Yet so many in church leadership and the academy tend to have political and cultural agendas disguished as theology: my favorite is the "Mother God" movement ... there is a reason God chose masculine language more than a matter of grammar.

My concern is allowing liberty in places where one finds legitimate theological tension while preventing the slippery slope into accomodaton. I guess one has to define "legitimate."

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, I'm starting to think you're right and that we do need to define "legitimate" and other terms associated with this whole mess. But then who defines it, and then who disagrees with the definition and redefines ... Is Webster still alive?

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Evangelical Orthodoxy said...

The fundamental problem is that many of these so-called theological issues are not about theology at all. I suspect much of the anti-"women in ministry" inertia sprung from two things: 1. a backlash against feminisim (who can blame them) and 2. fear of women preachers being better than the good-ole boys. One need only look back at the last 20 years of SBC live and one can start to see the fruits of the movement: money, power, control.

Wesley - as usual - is write here. If we might use his quad we can examine these issues in totality. Scripture is unclear. Tradition is clear against women but changing. Reason is clear supporting women. And our experience supports women. I think using a similar rationale and prayer helps us understand what is essential and what is our interpretations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home