Evangelical Orthodoxy

Politics, News, Faith, Fun

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Example of Church

I really am struggling with my inability to find a good church home. Let me give you an example. We have been visiting this church in the neighborhood pretty regularly, but it is just not really for. For one, the worship is too unintentional; and I neither of us fine the preaching particularly insightful. However, being selfish, we visit there because it is close. Sunday - being the last week of the quarter and good Baptists - the church apparently celebrated The Lord's Supper; I say that because no a word was mentioned until the very end of the sermon, and it almost was used as a sermon prop. There was no reverence, explanation of its significance or intention. I was embarrassed and felt unholy even participating in such a remembrance. I think it is a function of too many "how to do" church books and seminars have gotten so far away from Christian authenticity to be unrecognizable.

I am frustrated because I am in a real pickle. The church were we feel most comfortable is an Anglican church in a nearby town. I feel, however, to leave "the Baptist church" I will be sacrificing any future career opportunities in ministry or denominational affairs. We're struggling with what to do.

2 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Oh my friend, I wish you'd skype me. I'd like to talk to you.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the same situation as you for 2 years and had the same frustrations with every SBC church in the area. If you're near Frisco, try Grace Church. It meets at Fisher Elementary and is a breath of fresh air. Totally Gospel oriented and disciplined to preaching the Word. It is associated with Sovereign Grace Ministries. I was getting jaded, but it has now changed my life and my perspective towards ministry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home